Friday, September 26, 2014

HQ Hamman Sweet and Sour Chicken

Hello Bloglanders

Happy Friday to you all!!  I don't normally share recipes but this one is my very own and we all love it. Maybe someone out there has been making Sweet and Sour Pork / Chicken just like this but then I didn't know about it.

Wynand and I both love crispy Sweet and Sour Pork - yes, the fatty ones and I've been trying forever to recreate it.  Even now I just work according to my instinct and had to measure everything to give you the recipe. See what I mean?


































Here are a few WIP pics:









Sweet and Sour Chicken (you can use pork / beef / veggies)

INGREDIENTS
2 Chicken breasts cut into cubes of about 2.5 cm square. (that's about an inch.  it does not have to be exact)
1 cup Cake Flour
60 g of Selfraising Flour
Quarter of a cup of water
Quarter of a cup of BROWN Vinegar (I use the ordinary, cheap variety; this gives the golden colour to the dish)
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil for deep fry

METHOD
Coat the chicken cubes in the Cake Flour.  (I put it in a plastic bowl, close the lid and SHAKE!!! Your cubes should be WELL coated in flour.)
Now make the batter by combining the Selfraising Flour, water, Vinegar, salt and pepper. (I tend to under season as you can always sprinkle salt over afterwards. It should be the consistency of "flapjack" batter. See 3rd Pic)
Dip the chicken cubes in the batter, let the excess drip off and deep fry in vegetable oil. (According to my thermometer it's about 140 degrees Celsius; 275 Fahrenheit. If you don't have a thermometer don't stress - it should be as for French Fry's.)
When they are golden brown, remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain off the excess oil on kitchen paper. Serve with sweet and sour sauce of your choice.

What's for dinner? Of course, Sweet and Sour Chicken!

Now I have to run to get my weekend organized. I'll be back on Sunday with my weekly summary. Please check back as I'm working on a few extraordinary projects and you don't want to miss out.




No comments:

Post a Comment