Tuesday, May 7, 2013

DIY Gift Bags

Good morning Bloglanders

I hope you are feeling summery.  It's a beautiful day and I just can't wait to get some stuff done. This time of  the year I go into "Gift mode" - it's Mother's Day, my mum, a friend from university and my sister's twin boys birthdays. So, I start to stock up on gift bags and cards well in advance.

Do you make your own gift bags? Well I do and this one will be for my mum - not too girly but still charming and elegant - like her!

And the color inspiration: The Play Date Cafe:


I did the heart speech bubble in  felt and used this die set from Spellbinders:


I'm sure you all do your own party bags but I decided to share how I do mine for those who need some tips. Normally I recycle old wrapping paper, calendar pages or just office scraps. It is the perfect canvas to try out your stamps, stencils, die cuts and masks. This is what I do:


Top left:  I use a box (about the size of the party bag that you need) and a piece of paper. I fold the edge of the wrapping paper over and glue it down as I like my bag to have a sturdy edge.
Top right: Continue wrapping around the box like a present leaving the upper, folded edge as it is. Glue everything in place.
Middle left: Remove the box.
Middle right: Fold in the sides and bottom to give it a "bag look" and this also helps to fold your party bag flat to store.
Bottom left. Use small ring reinforcers on the inside of the bag. (use scraps, circle punch and a hole punch) Left over ribbon for the handles and I like to use a sturdy piece of cardboard to reinforce my bag's base. (Use the box to draw a template) In this instance, I used a recycled cereal box. (just slip it inside the bag - no need for glue)
Bottom right: Add a tag and you're done!

That's it - 2 party bags done and dusted - 3 more to go!  I think I'll convert all my leftover wrapping paper to party bags and use them in my mini wrapping stations that I can give away to family and friends. I hate leftover wrapping paper and always try to think of ideas to utilize it. If you want to have a look at my mini wrapping stations, just click here to get to that post. 

That's it from me. I'm off to make covers for my sewing machines. I just love beautiful fabric. Thanks for visiting my blog and please come back to play as I have a lot more to share with you. Have a great day!


1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous! This is a fabulous design for the color splash challenge! So glad you could join us for the Play Date Cafe Challenge!

    ReplyDelete