Sunday, May 19, 2013

Crate Conversion to Trolleys

Hi there Bloglanders

My second post for the day!!  This is part of my series of posts on my Craft Closet.  The whole story will be revealed over at Craft Storage Ideas on Thursday the 23rd of May.  I'll insert the link once it is published.  If you want to get the rest of the inside info, you can check back to my previous post. (just scroll down or click here)

My inspiration for this actually came from this post that I did for Craft Storage Ideas. I had all these wooden crates that we used in the winery and decided to turn them into trolleys for my Craft Closet. This is what they look like now:

When you walk into my Craft Closet, I have 3 of them lined up against the wall on the right.  I wheel them around the house and fitted other wooden boxes and plastic tubs into their cubbies for my supplies and scraps.  Also, I made bags with pockets to cover them.  In these I put supplies that I need when I craft in the Craft Closet or elsewhere.  In this picture you can see that I've slipped magnetic sheets into the pockets and now all my Spellbinder nestability dies stick to the outside of the pockets. I can see at a glance what I have and what I want to use.

And this is what we did. Actually, I said how and my husband DID:

The "before" picture of the crate:

Wynand tied them together with cable ties and added wheels.  They are VERY sturdy and will hold a heavy die cut machine.  I wanted the cable ties as you never know - maybe they will be reincarnated into something else along the line. With IMPERFECT ME you never know.

I gave them a splash of white paint and added fabric jackets. Here you can see what the finished trolley looks like:

And the Cuttlebug plates fit into the back pockets:

When I sew, I use them lined up against the wall as I like to have an open floor and lots of space to put my pins, measuring tape, patterns and notebooks right next to my sewing machines. If I craft, they get wheeled next to my desk and I put my paper cutter or die cut machine on top.  I like to have my desk uncluttered to work on.

And another picture:

That's it. Thanks for looking at my Blog. Tomorrow I'll have to get my office work done but I'll be back with some more crafting fun just for you. Have a Marvellous Monday!






1 comment: